Onboarding new sellers requires a much different process than other employees. New research from David Skok finds that the Ramp Up time for sellers with an Average Contract Value over 50K is trending to over 5 months. Where else in an organization can we expect 5 months to productivity?
The obvious answer is we have to get it right and we have to be precise when it comes to New Seller Onboarding. That is why it is so important to have a framework. We use the H-5 Framework:
- Hi: We start with covering all of your introductory administration, procedures, and tools to ensure the seller is set up for success on day one. You never get a second chance to make a first impression! Then we cover the most fundamental areas to a new hires success in a format that is easy to comprehend for adult learners:
- What are we selling? – Product and Competitive Overview with key takeaways through Win Stories
- Who is buying from us? – Buyer Personas and key pain points your products address through Win Stories
- Where do we find it? – Tips, tactics and links from your A-players on how they win deals
- When do we do it? – An onboarding checklist and closed loop feedback to monitor the new seller’s productivity and time to first deal reporting.
- How do we sustain it? – All of the lessons taught in onboarding are provided in an opportunity brief for every new deal
Full disclosure – RampedUp.io is a SaaS app that can be placed inside of Salesforce.com where functionality like this checklist comes as a template along with every part of the Hi-5 framework. The checklist comes with a feedback loop for managers and email notifications for overdue tasks.